arrow arrow logo-rgb logo-small logo-small logo-white

Battle of Bannockburn

LocationStirling

ClientNational Trust for Scotland & Historic Scotland

StatusCompleted November 2016

Since the moment in 1314 that King Robert the Bruce planted his standard, Bannockburn has played a hugely significant part in the history and psychology of the Scottish nation. In the Victorian era, the iron flagstaff was erected; in the 1960's, the equestrian statue, rotunda and visitor centre were built. By 2010 they were all failing and the integrity of the monuments to the Battle of Bannockburn was compromised.

The axial approach established and clarity regained. Granite, steel and bronze formed the basis of our materials palette – taken from the site's history. Granite and bronze formed the plinth of the equestrian statue, steel, for the flagstaff and the remnants of battle that once littered these fields. Light touches in the landscape to retain the language of the site and re-establish solemnity.

Dignity and presence has been restored to the monuments of Bannockburn.

Initial sketch at competition stage

Avenue of oaks, seating walls and granite bollards

Landscape plan

Corten interpretation wall along the café terrace

Brick and granite seating walls, visitor centre by Reiach & Hall Architects

From the development of initial concept and working with the Architect, Conservation Architect and Interpretative Designers developing that concept into a very strong landscape statement, which re defines the site and restores dignity to its monuments. Thoughtful and rigorous detailed design work with excellent production information and attention to build quality throughout construction phase.

David McAllister
National Trust for Scotland